You are about to be redirected to LittleMorganPeople.com

in 5 seconds

Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Thrifty Table and Buffet

While you are waiting in suspense for my fabulous new blog-look to happen, check out this table that I picked up at the little "junk" shop down the road!

The owner cut the price and threw in the matching buffet for little to nothing, nice Jewish man that he is! (Also because he thinks I am the best thing since sliced cheese. He tells me so every time I go in- in a sorta flattering, but mostly just disturbing kinda way.)


The table and buffet were both stained with a light oak(maybe?) colored stain and were very old, and as my cute husband likes to say in a nasally-voice, very "Natchez-y". But, when junk shopping, it is SO IMPORTANT that you don't look at what it is, but what it CAN be. :)

To turn this thrifty little find into a nifty little "distressed" Morgan-family table, I started with the basics: white primer. I then took a dark brown acrylic paint and covered most of the surface area(only letting the white primer show through in spots and streaks where I thought it would look like a neat "accent".) **To recreate my look here, pick a brush stroke direction and stick with it! You don't want this thing lookin like your 4 year old painted it. Then I took a "robin's egg blue" and a cheap brush and made one-way brush strokes until I was happy with the amount of Brown (and white) that were showing through. Then I finished up with a coat of Polycrylic--a water based sealant. Nifty, right? I chose a distressed look for our table because the style can take wear and tear and only look better. Plus, having a 4 year old and a two year old, most of our furniture ends up distressed anyway.

So here is the buffet: You can see the distressed look much better in this picture.


Score one for my pocket book...and my dining room.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment