You are about to be redirected to LittleMorganPeople.com

in 5 seconds

Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Not how, but why: Defending my little people against a world that hates them.



Yesterday my mom came to town to take the kids on their spring/summer shopping trip. Thanks, Neanie!

I don't know if you fully grasp the circumstances here, but think:

5 year old girl, 3 year boy, 1 year old boy.

Think:

Double stroller containing cranky older kids.

Moby wrap strapping youngest, squirmiest child to my person.

No naps. Distracted supervisors.

Hours of searching through 5T girl's clothes to find outfits that are both trendy and modest.

Judgemental onlookers. Everywhere.

You sitting in my shoes now?

K. good.

Now, despite how stressful that sounds, I actually had a great time.

By God's mercy, I was able to really enjoy my children in the midst of their napless fussiness.

The judgemental onlookers, however, did not seem to be enjoying my children.

In fact, as we stood in line at one particular store, I noticed that the lady behind me was staring.

She was in her late 30's, dressed in Yoga pants and a tight fitting workout top. Her nails were manicured, her make-up meticulously done, and a large swoop of stiff hair supported one rather large, rather expensive-looking pair of sunglasses.

One of her hands held a large pile of women's clothing, the other hand held a smaller hand that belonged to the stretched little arm of the cherub faced little boy who stood next to her.

He stared up at me with a sweet little grin.

I rocked my youngest in my arms, held the hand of my 3 year old- who was crying, and whispered sweet nothings to my 5 year old to keep her from getting restless. My own hair was a mess. Half my make up had been rubbed off by the fussy infant on my chest, and my soccer-mom-white capri's were wearing three, red, ketchup stains that were left there by my french fry-eating 3 year old.

The cashier jokingly asked, "Wouldn't you like 3 more children?"

"I'd love to have 3 more tomorrow." I quickly replied, throwing her a sweet smile just to put the cherry on top.

The woman behind me joined in, "I don't see how you do it...I really don't."

I felt my face go red, but took a deep breath and forced an innocent smile.

"See how I do what?" I asked.
She shifted the weight of the clothes onto her hip. "Have 3 kids." She shot right back. "I have one and he drives me crazy."

My mind sinfully ran through all the quick-witted responses that I could use , but instead, my conscience kicked in and I calmly reminded myself that my words belong to the Lord.

So instead I said, "Well, I really enjoy my children. They are truly a blessing from the Lord."

And that was it.

My husband pointed out later that what she really meant when she said "I don't see how you do it." was, "I don't see why you do it."

Why would you subject yourself to hours of wiping snotty noses, hours of playing referee, hours of changing diapers, hours of washing dirty laundry and cleaning unnecessary messes, hours of endless wining, hours of time spent on everyone and everything-else?

Why?

Well, this is why:

Because creating these three, precious little people, and watching them grow, and holding their hands, and teaching them to pray, and showing them the love of Jesus, and comforting them when they cry, and holding them when they're scared, and kissing them when they're hurt, and showing them how to share, and teaching them how to forgive and to love one another has BLESSED ME with a bigger, fuller, more rich understanding of the Gospel of Jesus Christ than I ever could have gotten from living a life of ease and comfort.

And I am not going to apologize for that.












Pin It

5 comments:

  1. What an encouragement to MOMS everywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how Brandon quickly got to the real issue... I don't see 'why' you do it. The amish have a saying that if a task is done correctly, its usually difficult to do, and I think the same is very true of parenting. But our society thinks there is something terribly wrong with having to work hard, to be tired at the end of the day, to be exhausted and keep on going. The sad part was a mother saying "I don't see how you do it" (because its too hard and I don't want to sacrifice my life for this child) ... and "the child I have drives me crazy" (because I'm often inconvenienced by him). I'm hoping that lady perhaps got a little 'snapshot opportunity' to see her own child a different way. Thanks for sharing this.
    --Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Libbi!

    Courtney- Our men have a way of cutting past all the fluff and seeing the real issue, don't they? You are definitely right. I think the real issue is the unwillingness of one person to lay down his/her life for another. This applies to many problem areas in our culture, but specifically this one. Children have become trophies to be displayed, but not dealt with. The moment that the child becomes an inconvenience, the child becomes just that- an inconvenience. This is very sad. I'm left only to pray for those who are so blinded, and lift up praises to the King that He has called me out of the darkness to walk in the light!

    ReplyDelete