You are about to be redirected to LittleMorganPeople.com

in 5 seconds

Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Homemade Amish Bread


I don't know about you, but I am a total sucker for anything warm, and yeasty, and chewy.

This bread is...well, perfect.

And honestly, it isn't hard to make. I actually made the above loaf without a mixer.

That's right! I am womannnn!

But seriously, have you ever kneaded bread by hand??

It's a work out.

Anyway, here is the recipe: Try it, it is uh-ma-zing.


Amish White Bread

2 cups warm water
2/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil
6 cups bread flour

Dissolve the sugar in the warm water and stir in the yeast.
* Make sure the water is not too warm or it will kill your yeast!
Allow the mix to proof (It will look like creamy foam).
Mix the salt and oil into the yeast mix. Then, mix the flour in, 1 cup at a time!
Knead it until it becomes smooth. (You'll get a warm, fuzzy feeling when it's right)
Place it in a well oiled bowl and turn it to coat it with oil.
Cover it with a DAMP cloth, and let it rise 1 hour.
Punch it down (I love this part.) and knead it again.
Divide it into 2 pans. Let it rise until it is twice it's original size.
*I put it on my stovetop and cut my oven on to preheat. The warm air that rises out makes the dough all happy and rise-y.
Bake it a 350* for 30 min.

Take it out and eat half a loaf. Don't feel guilty. You deserve it. :)
Enjoy.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. This bread looks amazing! If I enjoyed cooking this would be next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. It is amazing! I'm not sure if it's my love of cooking that drives me...more like my love of eating! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete